Ok – I know its been way, Way, WAY too long since I’ve posted, but my life has been bursting with change (and therefore the incredible amount of work and energy required to make change happen… right, Mr. Obama?).
Since I last posted, I…
- Finished a Master’s Degree
- Resigned my position at the non-profit where I worked with LGBT kids
- Was hired by a wonderful church in Nashville, TN that proudly serves and is served by the LGBT community
- Moved from New York City to Nashville, TN
- Bought a car (goodbye convenient public transportation!)
- Started aforementioned job and have been INCREDIBLY blessed by the people I work with (and around) in my new church.
So… cut me a break, eh?
As a welcome back present, I offer you the folowing… Patheos’ recent article “12 Steps to Becoming an LGBT Ally in 2013.” It includes the following encouragement that’s sage advice both for straight folks who support the LGBT community AND those of us who identify as LGBT…
Read A LOT about being LGBT.
Read books, blogs that are written by gay folks.
Read books and blogs by allies.
Read authentic voices sharing true stories.
And read your holy texts. Read for all the ways God is calling us into compassion and justice. If you are a Christian and are reading the Bible, go ahead and count the number of scriptural references to justice and compassion as compared to the number of times homosexuality (as understood in a particular, historical culture) is mentioned. And Christians who are called to follow in the footsteps of that rabbi who fed the multitudes without asking for a dime, healed the sick (on the sabbath) without asking for insurance and died a criminal’s death – please carefully read for what Jesus had to say about homosexuality.
Whew… it’s good to be back.